Choosing a Used or New Motorcycle
After deciding what type of motorcycle to buy (Buying your first Motorcycle), there is a second decision that needs to be made – new or used? Buying a new bike comes with the security and knowledge that goes along with a new purchase, while buying a used bike can provide a huge cost savings over a new one. Deciding on new or used can be as simple as looking in the savings account and letting that make the decision. Or, it can be a stressful and potentially regrettable decision.
Advantages of Buying New
- New motorcycles come with a warranty and the security that goes along with the knowledge that the bike hasn’t been wrecked. A motorcycle warranty will usually range from 1 year to 3 years depending on the manufacturer.
- By buying a new motorcycle there are more options and choices. The buyer can go to a dealership, take test rides, and come back later if need be. By going to a dealership the chances of the desired motorcycle being in stock at any given time are pretty good. Plus there will be more color choices and accessory options.
- All states have differing degrees of lemon laws when it comes to issues with a new vehicle purchase. Lemon laws also apply to motorcycles and provide additional security beyond the warranty.
- There will be no scratches, dings, or dents. The motorcycle will have new tires and fresh shiny paint that will look fantastic when riding it out of the dealership.
Disadvantages of Buying New
- As with any new vehicle the cost is higher. And it pretty much loses that value when it is ridden off the lot.
- The odds are very likely that at some point a new rider and even many experienced riders will tip the bike on its side. This can happen while in motion, where the damage will be worse. Or in some instances just getting on and off the bike. The damage usually isn’t as bad when this happens. Damaging a new motorcycle can be costly to repair as aftermarket or used replacement parts might be harder to find.
- Buying a new motorcycle involves going to a dealership, and dealing with salespeople. Anyone who has ever done this can attest to the fact that it is usually not a pleasant experience.
Advantages of Buying Used
- The nice thing about a used motorcycle is that, if you drop it or lay it down for any reason, your feelings won’t be hurt as bad.
- Used replacement parts and aftermarket accessories might be cheaper and easier to find.
- One very common thing motorcycle owners do is upgrade and accessorize there motorcycle. Many used motorcycles will come with aftermarket modifications that the previous owners have upgraded on the bike for a savings to the new owner.
- If the bike is well maintained, the savings on the cost over a new bike can be well worth it.
Disadvantages of Buying Used
- Unless the bike is practically new, it most likely does not include and warranty. If it does include a warranty it’s possible the warranty is non-transferable and should be verified with the dealer.
- As with any used purchase the new buyer could be taking on someone else’s problem.
- Motorcycles require regular maintenance and the results of a motorcycle not receiving proper care can be much more hazardous to the rider than that of a car.
- If buying a used bike, be sure to do an internet search on what to check when buying a used motorcycle.
Just like buying a car, there are advantages and disadvantages to buying used or new. Ultimately it’s up to the purchaser to decide which fits his or her personal needs and wants. Then after deciding on which one to buy read up on that model, go down and do some test rides, and be prepared to love life every weekend that involves “going out for a ride” with friends.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- Abandoned Places (7)
- Africa (15)
- Biographies and History (16)
- Books (6)
- Cemeteries (7)
- Europe (56)
- Events (9)
- Ireland (35)
- Isles of The Caribbean (11)
- Motorcycling Life (23)
- Musings (9)
- Nature (3)
- Night Photography (7)
- Photo Challenges (6)
- Photoshop (7)
- Road Tripping (25)
- Shameless Self Promotion (8)
- South America (10)
- The Pacific Northwest (4)
- Travel (57)
- Trial and Error (8)
- Tutorials (29)